11.24.2014

Glorifying Busy

It's been almost two months since I updated my blog. Whoops.

The reason I haven't been writing is dumb. I've been busy. So, I have been presented with such an opportunity to talk about how absolutely terrifying it is to become less busy.


One of my favorite quotes of all time is this:


How simply beautiful is that command?! When I first saw that, I was in major denial that I ever glorified busy. I didn't even think that was possible. I didn't understand how one could glorify busy... as if "Busy" was an idol. As if "Busy" had any control over the direction of our thoughts. And then, reality hit me as I was making a to-do list and barely squeezing in time to cut my produce. Yes, I seriously put that on my to-do list... was I crazy? Or just that Busy?

I struggle with glorifying Busy. I struggle with feeling accomplished if I achieved a lot of things that day. Throughout the day, my mind is usually on the next task I need to cross off. I've found myself making schedules by the minute so that I can control how much I actually get done. I don't trust that it will all get done if I don't make a Plan A, B, C. But this quote doesn't demand that we just trust that it will get done, and that's why I love it.

Stopping the glorification of Busy means to stop finding success in how many things you accomplish. Being Busy does not mean you are being productive, worthy, or important. You are those things without a single task crossed off of your to-do list. Letting things go and un-busying yourself is one of the harder things that I'm learning to do right now. I'm learning that sometimes you have to say yes to the more important things, like spending time with your Creator or walking a little bit slower on the way home to talk to your mom. Saying yes to these things will take all the power away from Busy. We can only serve one master, and Busy is not one of them.

Society demands that we fill every second of our time. This demand will make us fail and become miserably attached to the hollow promises that Busy tries to fulfill. Life is meant to be lived fully, without to-do lists that are only out to destroy and phones that are constantly buzzing. Life is meant to be shared and enjoyed. Life should be filled with long conversations and deep relationships. Busy has no power over us when we realize what truly matters.

In Chapter 10 of Luke, there is a story about how Jesus addresses busyness. (Spoiler alert: He doesn't like it)
"Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her." 
Luke 10: 38-42

Let's stop being like Martha for a little bit and see what the good portion has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment