8.19.2015

End of Summer Ramblings

I know that Jesus is everywhere, but sometimes it seems like He's in Austin just a little bit more than everywhere else.

Here are some really random things that I've learned this summer:

1. Discipline is necessary.
I am the kind of person who claims to be spontaneous and wild and free as a bird, but at the end of the day, I love my routines. I love having a plan and all of my produce cut up and an rough idea of what my meals will be for the next few days. With that being said, if I want anything to be in my life at all, there has to be a time for it. Whether it's a friend, yoga, relaxing, or Friday Night Lights, I need to set apart time for the things that are important to me. This summer I learned that spending time with Jesus isn't something that I can just do when I'm in my car or walking around or find free time. It's an activity. Prayer is something that can easily be neglected if I don't make time for it, and I have learned that setting aside time for Jesus is so important and necessary. I need to be reminded of this daily (like right now when my flesh would much rather sleep in a little bit), but life runs better when I stop running it and let Jesus do His thing.

2. Jesus talks back.
I pray for God to audibly speak to me quite a bit. It hasn't happened, but when I hear His voice, I will tell everyone I know. I hope it's deep and it echoes and He says something extremely profound. But, this summer I learned that God actually jumps at the chance to reveal Himself to us. He's working hard for his children and He doesn't want that to go unnoticed. He wants to shower us with bouquets and songs and beautiful people. Our prayers are not unheard, even if we don't hear a booming voice immediately after our Amen.

3. Jesus loves surprising us.
I have so many prayers that I feel like aren't heard at all. But, I was humbly reminded that these prayers are not only heard, but cherished. These prayers are hung up on a giant bulletin board and written on beautiful paper with calligraphy pens. Jesus doesn't want to just answer our meek requests, but He wants to one-up every expectation we have set before Him. He doesn't just make the sun disappear at night, He gives us sunsets. He doesn't just fill our bellies with mush. He gives us colorful berries and delicious food. God isn't a repairman checking off boxes. He is our perfecter, life decorator, and redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment